Saturday, June 18, 2016

Robot Jox (1989)

The silhouette of a large robot looms in front of a blazing fire, looking out to a bleak cityscape in the distance.  This was the worst movie I have seen in a while.  At first, I was working myself up into a pretty good rage about the blatant misogyny and casual racism but then I had to just laugh at how horribly dated and awful it is.  It's been a while since I've had one you could add to the "So Bad It's Worth Watching" pile.  For God's sake, don't do it sober.

In a far future that is nonetheless 1989, the world is split into two factions.  Wars are a thing of the past so disagreements are settled periodically by duels between giant mecha warriors.  Achilles (Gary Graham) wants to retire after a horrific accident but comes back for One Last Fight to save the new generation of robot pilots's champion, Athena (Anne-Marie Johnson), from the evil clutches of his Russian nemesis (Paul Koslo).  Despite the fact that she is younger, faster, has better reflexes, beat out twenty other candidates for the position, and literally trained her entire life for this moment, she's a girl ergo she must need saving.

I don't think I can overstate how terrible this movie is.  Pacific Rim looks like Citizen Kane next to this piece of garbage.  For all of you who consider that a challenge, you have been warned.  I take no responsibility for your reactions to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment