Monday, June 6, 2016

The Jackal (1997)

Jackal film.jpg  I realized that this was mis-shelved only after I had opened the Jackie Chan collection.  These things happen.

A Russian mobster (David Hayman) hires an assassin known only as The Jackal (Bruce Willis) to kill an influential American in revenge for the death of the mobster's brother by a joint Russian-American task force.  The lead FBI agent (Sidney Poitier) recruits the only person who can identify the Jackal, an IRA hitter named Declan Mulqueen (Richard Gere), to help them track down the killer before he can complete his assignment.

This is such a product of the 90's.  It's still entertaining but I could definitely see the socio-political strings being pulled behind it, from the "Russians are friends now" string to the "we have mixed feelings about the IRA" thread.  

I thought Gere's Irish accent would bother me more, since I don't think I've ever heard him attempt anything but American speech, but I was surprisingly okay with it.  The real draw here is Bruce Willis in every disguise you can imagine.  The rest of the film could do with some tightening but seeing as it's almost 20 year old, I think I can just chalk that up to the style of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment