Saturday, December 7, 2019

Fallen Angels (1995)

  I hated this movie.  It was meandering and pointless and I just barely held on long enough to finish it.  It's supposed to be a companion piece to another film called Chungking Express but I am now questioning whether or not I even want to bother with it.

Two unrelated storylines play out in '90s Hong Kong.  In one, a hitman (Leon Lai) decides to quit, discomfiting his assistant (Michelle Reis), who is obsessed with him.  In the other, a mute (Takeshi Kaneshiro) pines for a woman (Charlie Yeung) trying to get her ex-boyfriend back.

I was so fucking bored, you guys.  I did not give a shit about any of these characters, their lives and motivations were completely alien to me.  As far as the cinematography and direction... choices were made.  I respect that Wong Kar-Wai made choices even if I don't agree with them.  There was just nothing here for me.  Maybe it's for you.  Maybe you like disaffected, depressed people at loose ends in their lives.  If so, it's streaming on the Criterion Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment