Monday, December 30, 2019

10 Years, 2050 Movies, And Still Going

I've been seeing a lot of "Best of the Decade" posts rolling out.  I think that's dumb because the decade isn't over until the end of 2020.  I don't know what kind of math those people are using but I have never started counting at zero.  However, it has been exactly ten years since I started this blog so instead of my usual End of the Year review, I thought I'd look back at my top 25 favorite films of the last ten years.  I had to winnow down from 807 posts so I really hope you fuckers appreciate the time and effort this took.

25.  Easy A -- This is easily a new high school rom-com classic.  

24.  Captain America:  The First Avenger  -- I was surprised when I was putting this list together how well the Captain America segments of the MCU held up.  

23.  The Conjuring  -- This spawned an entire franchise universe that has been (mostly) successful on every entry.  

22.  Captain America:  The Winter Soldier  -- Honestly, this would still be a good movie even if the rest of the MCU went away.  It would make no sense but it would still be good.

21.  13 Assassins  -- This is way higher on the the list than it would have been if I had not just recently watched it again.  I'm glad I did, though, because it really is intensely beautiful and sad and timely.

20.  Cabin in the Woods  -- Horror comedy classic and the only horror comedy to make the list.

19.  Get Out -- This wasn't just a movie.  This was a cultural phenomenon.  Jordan Peele transcended genre to bring a masterpiece of social commentary to the forefront.

18.  Inside Out  -- Of all the Pixar movies, this was the one I identified with the most.

17.  Deadpool 2  -- This could have been a total cash grab and instead it managed to have a really sweet message about found family.

16.  Logan  -- The best possible way the X-Men movies could have ended.  Too bad they just kept going...

15.  It:  Chapter One  -- I had to add the colon because now there are two of them.  

14.  Black Swan  -- Still my favorite Natalie Portman performance of all time.  

13.  Deadpool  -- This exists solely because of Ryan Reynolds and it is perfect.

12.  Avengers:  Endgame  -- I mean, it had to be on the list.  It's such a fucking downer, though.

11.  Little Women  -- Again, this probably would not be on here if it weren't so fresh in my mind but it is a really good adaptation of one of my absolute favorite books.

10.  Green Room  -- If Anton Yelchin hadn't died, this probably wouldn't be here.

9.  The Man from Nowhere  -- John Wick before there was John Wick.

8.  Toy Story 4  -- The sequel literally no one asked for, yet it turned out to somehow be the exact story I needed to hear.

7.  A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night  -- This was such a nice surprise.  Nothing else is like it.  Really a gem.

6.  Toy Story 3  -- The most perfect Pixar movie ever made.  I still remember an entire theater of people sobbing during the ending.  

5.  Hereditary  -- God, I love this movie.

4.  Blancanieves  -- I really didn't expect this to wind up this high on the list but I couldn't stop thinking about it ever since I watched it.

3.  Mad Max:  Fury Road  -- Monumental, wild, explosive, amazing.  Words don't do Charlize Theron justice.

2.  Avengers:  Infinity War  -- I don't think this is a "better" movie than Mad Max but no other film dominated discourse like this one.  Endgame was never going to live up to the standards of suspense left by Infinity War.

1.  John Wick  -- No one saw this coming.  This movie launched Keanu Reeves back into the spotlight, kickstarted the directorial careers of David Leitch and Chad Stahelski, and sent action fans into paroxysms of joy.  Never has carnage looked so good.

So those are my favorites of the last ten years.  Feel free to disagree.  Thank all of you for reading and I look forward to spending another ten years screaming my opinions into the void.

No comments:

Post a Comment