Monday, March 1, 2021

Golden Globe Awards 2021

 I did not watch the Golden Globes ceremony last night.  I intended to.  I set an alarm on my phone.  I upgraded to Hulu Live (which I have done before).  I set the Hulu Live DVR to record the show (which I have done before).  I waited until 8:30 to turn it on so I could fast forward through the commercials (which I have done before).  It didn't fucking record.  I pressed play and it was in the middle of Mark Ruffalo's (no doubt heartfelt) teary speech about environmentalism with no way to rewind or watch what I had missed.  I re-checked and it was not recording.  I pressed record, exited out, and checked again.  Still not recording.  At that point, I had missed almost the entire first hour and I was so fucking irritated, I just turned the whole thing off.  This morning, I checked again.  Didn't fucking record.  Peacock was supposed to have the ceremony available day after (because it originally aired on NBC) so I tried there.  Nope.  What they have is a "playlist" of clips of the winners, no presenters, no recap of the categories, nothing that makes the ceremony interesting, just the winners' speeches.  Which we can all agree are the worst part of an awards ceremony (with some notable exceptions, like Jodie Foster and her silk pajamas matching her dog's neckerchief).  So I am just going to copy/paste the winners from the New York Times and God help Hulu if this happens for the Oscars.

Best Motion Picture, Drama - Nomadland

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy - Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Best Director - Chloe Zhao for Nomadland

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama - Andra Day in The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy - Rosamund Pike in I Care a Lot

Best Supporting Actress in Any Motion Picture - Jodie Foster in The Mauritanian

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama - Chadwick Boseman in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy - Sacha Baron-Cohen in Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Best Supporting Actor in Any Motion Picture - Daniel Kaluuya in Judas and the Black Messiah

Best Screenplay - Aaron Sorkin for The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best Original Score - Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste for Soul

Best Original Song - "Seen" from The Life Ahead

Best Motion Picture, Animated - Soul

Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language - Minari

Best TV Series, Drama - The Crown

Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy - Schitt's Creek

Best Limited Series, Anthology or Made-for-TV Movie - The Queen's Gambit

Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama - Emma Corrin in The Crown

Best Actress in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy - Catherine O'Hara in Schitt's Creek

Best Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology, or Made-for-TV Movie - Anya Taylor-Joy in The Queen's Gambit

Best Actress in a TV Supporting Role - Gillian Anderson in The Crown

Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama - Josh O'Connor in The Crown

Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy - Jason Sudeikis in Ted Lasso (who gave by far the worst acceptance speech.  Also, I want the Don Cheadle "wrap it up" gesture to be the new de facto "playing you off the stage" reaction.)

Best Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology, or Made-for-TV Movie - Mark Ruffalo in I Know This Much is True

Best Actor in a TV Supporting Role - John Boyega in Small Axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment