Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Mole Agent (2020)

Nominated for Best Documentary Feature  This might be the funniest documentary I've ever seen in my life.  The first ten minutes are a better comedy than any scripted one I've seen all year.

A private investigator in Chile is hired by a client to check out her mother's nursing home.  The client worries that her mom isn't being taken care of or is being abused.  The P.I. puts out an ad in the paper for a retired, 80-90 year-old man to act as a spy inside the nursing home.  Sergio, a spry widower, is chosen, despite his unfamiliarity with technology, and quickly becomes a favorite in the home where the ratio of women to men is 10-1.  Sergio takes his duties seriously, but he discovers something much more pervasive than elder abuse:  loneliness.  

Not to be dramatic, but by the time this was over, I would have taken a bullet for Sergio.  That little old man was the sweetest, most genuine person.  I love him.  And you will too.  The Mole Agent is currently streaming on Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment