Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Iron Lady (2011)

Nominated for Best Leading Actress and Best Make-up      This should get Meryl an Oscar easy.  Even though I didn't like the movie (I know, what a shock) she's got my vote hands down.  As for the make-up, definitely a win.  Amazing job.  They took Meryl Streep who looks like this:

and turned her into Margaret Thatcher's clone.

That's pretty good but then they aged her another thirty years.  I've watched Face/Off on SyFy.  Age makeup is hard to make natural looking but they totally did it.

Compared to that, the rest of the movie isn't really interesting.  I know who Margaret Thatcher is academically but she was out of power long before I was aware of international politics.  The movie briefly hits the high points of her time as Prime Minister:  the end of the Cold War, the Troubles in Northern Ireland, and the Falklands War but doesn't really dwell on them so much as it does a dotty old Margaret Thatcher reminiscing on being in power while having long conversations with her dead husband (Jim Broadbent).  Seriously.  The only thing I took away from the film (other than the makeup was fantastic) was that getting old sucks.  It's a good thing that woman is dead or she might have sued them for libel.  I wouldn't want my twilight years being paraded about interspersed with moments when I basically ruled a country.  Fuck that.

No comments:

Post a Comment