Monday, January 30, 2012

Hell and Back Again (2011)

Nominated for Best Documentary   This was certainly the most cinematic documentary I've seen this year.  The editing and sound work were really well-put-together, especially interposing sound clips from when Sgt Harris was in Afghanistan as a voiceover to show the internal memories.  It has a real shot of winning this category.

That being said, I hated this movie.  I thought it was going to be this year's Restrepo but it's more like The Hurt Locker part two.  Sgt Nathan Harris is a Marine infantryman who was injured in Afghanistan and is sent home to recover.  He goes through rehab and tries to adjust to civilian life.  He joined the Marine Corps at 18 because he flat-out wanted to kill people.  This is an asset in wartime but it does tend to mean you have a certain disposition.  Eight years later at 26, his priorities have somewhat shifted but his stated aim is to recover from his injuries and go right back out into the field.  I suppose someone's gotta do it.

If I seem callous it's because I've known too many guys like this.  They talk real big about how they're going to be fine and they're not affected, but deep down they are scared shitless because without the military they have no job skills and can't stand the thought of being permanently disabled.  Also, the paranoia exhibited by this man is appalling.  In a war zone, carrying a loaded weapon with you only makes good sense.  Carrying it with you to the grocery store is unbalanced.  Constantly flashing it towards your wife is just idiotic.  The entire movie I was waiting for him to shoot her accidentally.  And you can chant "PTSD" at me all you want.  I've had PTSD.  The quickest way I've found to diffuse it is to stop trying to make a safe environment into a dangerous one.  You have to keep those worlds separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment