Sunday, January 22, 2012

Three to Tango (1999)

  I haven't seen this movie in several years.  I remember that I used to really enjoy it or I wouldn't have kept it but having just seen it again I'm not sure why.  I think I've possibly outgrown this movie.  That's kind of sad in a way.  I've had it for over ten years now. 

Oscar (Matthew Perry, sporting a godawful dye job) is an architect bidding on a reconstruction project worth $90 million.  Charles (Dylan McDermott) is the head of the company and mistakenly thinks that Oscar and his partner Peter (Oliver Platt) are gay.  Because he's a selfish scumbag, he gets Oscar to spy on his mistress, a free-spirited glassblower named Amy (Neve Campbell).  But the more time Oscar spends with Amy the more he comes to care for her.

The movie sets itself up to be about gays but it's really not, even though just about every other member of the cast is playing one.  I think it's supposed to be about accepting people for who they are and not expecting them to play some sort of role in public but it's really just about a guy pretending to be gay so he can get with a chick that is so far out of his league ordinarily he'd need a telescope just to see her.  So I think it's time for this movie to be quietly retired to Amazon and it's proceeds put towards a new book for my Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment