Sunday, January 8, 2012

Storm Riders (1998)

  This was not a good movie.  It is, however, a very popular movie apparently.  It's based on a series of anime which I've never read so it could be that I am judging it too harshly because I am not familiar with the source material.  Entirely possible.

However, I have seen a lot of movies and a lot of Asian films.  I am not an expert but I am not a slouch either.  The CGI in this movie is along the level of some bad video games, the editing is psychotic, and the fight scenes are a jumbled mess.

Lord Conquer (Sonny Chiba) is an autocratic warlord poised on the edge of world domination.  A prophet named Mud Buddha tells him that his continued invincibility will be with the help of Wind (Ekin Cheng) and Cloud (Aaron Kwok) and hands him their birth charts.  So Conquer hunts them down and kills their families then raises them as his own.  Wind grows up to be kind and conscientious while Cloud is emo and moody.  Both of them are in love with Charity (Kristy Yang), Conquer's daughter.  Conquer gives her to Wind but Cloud tries to run off with her on their wedding day.  This results in a fight and Charity jumps in front of a bolt her cheating dad throws and dies.  Cloud takes her body and runs off.  Conquer finds out that if Wind and Cloud ever team up and become a storm, he's screwed so he sends Wind off on a suicide mission.

This is what happens when you're too Type A.  If he had just left things alone, Wind probably would have hated Cloud for that whole "you stole my woman" thing, but by meddling he guarantees that they'll have a common enemy.  You have to learn how to stay out of your own way if you're going to rule the world.

This was one I inherited when I lived with Brianne.  It was one of her husband's and when they got divorced she ended up with it.  She didn't want it and now I can understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment