Saturday, July 5, 2014

The City of Lost Children (1995)

  This is one of my all-time favorite movies, French or otherwise.  It's just so intensely weird.

Children are disappearing all over the city.  Tough street kid Miette (Judith Vittet) is determined not to be one of them, but when she meets strongman One (Ron Perlman), searching for his Little Brother (Joseph Lucien), she finds herself caught up in a strange conspiracy involving a mad scientist who can't dream (Daniel Emilfork), a brain in a box (Jean-Louis Trintignant), and a bunch of clones (Dominique Pinon).

The City of Lost Children is a strange fever dream of a movie.  It is definitely not for everyone.  However, if you can just kind of let go and be swept away by it, I think you'll find it's a movie you'll want to keep revisiting.  I've seen it enough times now that I don't really need the subtitles anymore and I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment