Sunday, July 24, 2016

War Horse (2011)

  You know what's harder to watch than a war movie?  A war movie with animals.  I swear, the Oscars try their best every year to kill me by nominating shit like this.

Albert (Jeremy Irvine) and his horse, Joey, have a special bond, so much so that when Joey is sold to the British army on the start of WWI Albert enlists just in the hope of finding him again.  Joey is originally under the care of Captain Nicholls (Tom Hiddleston) but his wartime experience soon devolves from there.

I had to keep pausing the movie and walking away because I refused to be emotionally eviscerated.  No, Mr. Spielberg, not today.  It didn't work but I think I deserve points for trying.

Look, if my PTSD-having ass tells you that this is hard to get through, you should believe it.  I don't even like horses.  It is kind of refreshing to see a movie about WWI, instead of WWII but all war movies fuck me up.  This is absolutely a one-and-done kind of film.  It's beautifully shot, the score is lovely, and there are a score of really talented actors in it.  If you are one of those people that needs a good cathartic cry every once in a while, go ahead and throw this on.  I will be shocked if you need to see it twice.  God knows I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment