Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Leopard (1963)

OLeopardo.jpg  Italian cinema is a difficult thing for me.  On the one hand, it's almost sublimely beautiful with an incredible focus on fashion and cinematography.  On the other, the themes and motifs are incomprehensibly dull, usually treatises on fleeting youth or glory, that I find interminable.

The Prince of Salina (Burt Lancaster) is a bastion of the Old Guard of Italian nobility facing the modern age of 1860's Sicily.  The Prince just wants everything to stay as it has always been but knows that the future will be in the hands of men like his nephew, Tancredi (Alain Delon).

I don't really know a lot about the history of that time in that particular region so a lot of the subtleties were lost on me.  It was also very weird to see Burt Lancaster dubbed over in Italian and sharing the billing with Delon, who is French.  It was such a pretty movie.  I wish I could say I enjoyed it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment