Sunday, July 17, 2016

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (2001)

  It may surprise you to know that I actually watched Jimmy Neutron back in the day.  Usually while hungover eating French fries and hoping I wouldn't die, but that's not the point.  The show was clever and funny, a good mix of kid and adult humor.  I was expecting more of the same from the movie but, sadly, the magic is gone.

Jimmy Neutron (Debi Derryberry --which is the cutest name ever) is a ten-year-old boy genius who is misunderstood by his classmates.  He doesn't let that bother him, however, and is as excited about possibly contacting alien life as he is about the opening of a new theme park in town.  He sneaks out of the house to attend the opening with his two best friends and completely misses that aliens have locked on to his coordinates and kidnapped all the parents to sacrifice to their alien chicken god, Poultra.

This is a thing.  Human sacrifice.  In a kid's movie.

Initially stoked, the kids grow weary of having no rules and turn to Jimmy to lead the rescue.

I found myself woolgathering throughout the movie.  No matter how many times I tried to pay attention, I kept wandering off in my own head.  That's the only reason I can't give this a glowing recommendation.  I would say pick up the TV show if you're interested but leave the movie for the elementary schoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment