Wednesday, October 2, 2019

We Heart Horror 2019 - Day 2: We Are What We Are (2010)

  This is much more like it.

When the patriarch of a family of cannibals dies unexpectedly, eldest son Alfredo (Francisco Barreiro) finds himself struggling to fulfill his new duties of hunting down victims for the family to eat.  Not from any, like, moral reasons but mostly just incompetence.

I was a little surprised because I had apparently been looking at the poster for the English remake from 2013 which features a dad and two daughters so when the Spanish version started playing with a mom, two sons, and a daughter, I was confused.  That English version will probably show up a little later this month now that I know that there are two of them.

I didn't find this super horrifying, I guess because cannibals don't really scare me, but it maintains tension all the way through, which I liked very much.  There's a great parallel between the corruption of the family being mirrored by the corruption in their society that someone smarter than me could turn into an essay.  I'm gearing up to watch another horror movie, though, so I'll leave it to them.

We Are What We Are (2010) is currently streaming on Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment