Sunday, October 6, 2019

We Heart Horror - Day 6: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

  Okay, this is cheating a little bit because I actually watched this on Saturday as part of Bethany's continuing education but I'm sticking to my "one a day" format to give myself a little breathing room in case something comes up during the week.  We also watched Psycho and Trick 'r Treat, which are also classics of the genre that I've previously reviewed.

Nancy (Heather Langencamp) has been having strange dreams.  As her friends die one by one, she becomes convinced that the sinister man she sees in her nightmares is real and he has targeted her for a very specific reason.

This one might only be better with nostalgia.  I watched it when I was in the fifth grade, maybe, so like 11 or 12, and I didn't sleep for a week.  I taught myself lucid dreaming as a way to handle the nightmares.  Watching it now, I'm amazed that I ever felt so strongly about it.

It's obviously a highly successful franchise and the time might be right to try another reboot with updated effects.  We could talk about why the 2010 one failed but some other time.  At any rate, you should be showing this to your children/younger relatives around the 10-13 mark for maximum psychological damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment