Tuesday, October 22, 2019

We Heart Horror - Day 22: A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

  I loved this movie so much.  It's sure to put people off because it is both black and white and subtitled but it is honestly worth looking up.  It's a critical darling but that's generally not a selling point for most people so I'm making sure you all know it has the Lucy stamp of approval

Arash (Arash Marandi) is trying to get by without being hassled by the local drug dealer (Dominic Rains) about his father's (Marshall Manesh) heroin habit when he meets a girl (Sheila Vand) walking alone at night.  She is a vampire and Arash doesn't know it, but she is going to change his entire life.

I've been worried all month that I wouldn't get a vampire movie.  The last three I've tried to watch have unfortunately been taken off their streaming platforms.  Y'all know they're my favorites.  But Criterion and Shudder had my backs and made this beauty available.

This is not the first Iranian movie I have ever seen, but it is the first horror.  Director Lily Ana Amirpour has a master's grasp of the interplay of light and shadow, banality and horror, beauty and ugliness.  It is a stunning debut feature and definitely a new vampire classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment