Saturday, January 7, 2012

Death Proof (2007)

  Okay, so when we have guests we let them pick the movies, in case you were wondering why there have been so many of my personal movies in a row instead of the Me-Netflix-Rob order I have been doing lately.

You didn't notice?  Okay, well, moving on...

I saw the Grindhouse double feature of Planet Terror and Death Proof when it was released to theaters and I preferred Planet Terror.  Then, when they were released separately onto DVD, I watched them both again and found that I really liked the additional footage added to Death Proof.  So this is the only one I own.

Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell) is a psychopath who murders women with his stuntcar, which has been tricked out so that the driver can survive pretty much anything.  He stalks and plays with a group of women in Texas (Sydney Poitier, Vanessa Ferlito, Jordan Ladd, Monica Stagg, and Rose McGowan) before moving on to another group in Tennessee.  Abernathy (Rosario Dawson), Lee (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), and Kim (Tracie Thoms) are all off for the next three days from their various jobs on a film and have gone to pick up their friend Zoe Bell (playing herself), a stuntwoman.  Zoe has one dream while in America:  to find and drive the Vanishing Point 1970 white Dodge Challenger.  There just so happens to be one for sale in town.  But can these beauties survive out on the road with a maniac?

I found the first half of this movie to be slightly boring, but that may just be because I was anticipating all the stuff that happens in the second half.  There's an 18-minute-long car chase for starters.  There are no bare boobs in the movie but there are a lot of ass-shots.  Tarantino probably really enjoyed filming this movie.  The style is intentionally bad, with lots of grainy camera work, doubled lines, and loss of color at one point.  Apparently, that's not super-obvious from the title "Grindhouse" so I'll mention it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment