Saturday, July 23, 2016

Dazed and Confused (1993)

  When I saw Boyhood, I was underwhelmed to say the least.  I could not understand why people were going on and on about this stupid movie.  The same goes for all of the "Before" films with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, also directed by Richard Linklater.

This is not the exception.

High schoolers celebrate the last day of school for the year in 1976.  Some do it by physically assaulting incoming freshmen (Ben Affleck) and some prefer the emotional abuse route (Parker Posey).  Pink (Jason London) just wants to hang out with his various groups of friends and drink, smoke pot, and generally behave like a teenager.

That's it.  That's the movie.  There is no plot.  Just a bunch of kids on the last day of the school year.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard quotes or references from this movie.  Hell, I don't know if Matthew McConaughey would have a career if it wasn't for this movie.  You might love it.  A lot of people do.

I don't.  I could not relate to any of the characters, their choices, or the time period.  It was as alien to me as life on the ocean floor.  That's just how it goes, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment