Saturday, December 24, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

  I found myself bored in places by this movie.  It's like when you see a magic show that isn't very good.  You start looking for the trick.  I can't imagine anyone who would be surprised by anything in this movie.  There were a couple of brighter spots, performances by Stephen Fry and Kelly Reid that were quite good.  This is the first chance I've had to see Noomi Rapace since I'm still 160 movies away from the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  She does a pretty decent job.  I think I was expecting more from Jared Harris as Moriarty.  After Mark Strong's performance in the first Sherlock Holmes movie, I would have liked to see Moriarty be more forceful, more dynamic.

Dr. Watson (Jude Law) is on the eve of his wedding when he is dragged into yet another case with his friend Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.).  This time it's a web of suspicious deaths and terrorist bombings that Holmes is convinced leads to the door of Professor James Moriarty (Jared Harris), a math prodigy and esteemed lecturer.  The lynchpin of the whole investigation is the brother of a gypsy fortune teller named Sim (Noomi Rapace) who must be found before these bombings provoke a war between nations.

Anyone who is familiar with the original Conan Doyle stories will see all of this coming from a mile away, especially the conclusion.  There are a few moments of humor sprinkled therein but not enough for me to recommend this to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment