Saturday, December 10, 2011

Se7en (1995)

  Man, I love this movie.  This represented a complete paradigm shift for me as a kid.  I was a junior in high school, never really fitting in, with an appreciation for the classics and a firm desire to see the rest of my school perish in a raging fire.  I saw this movie and it was awe-inspiring.

I tried to make Rob watch it recently.  He flat out refused.  Apparently, he has had the movie described to him and doesn't feel that he is missing anything.  To me, that's like having the taste of food described to you and deciding that you don't need to eat.  But whatever.  It's his life.

So I watched it without him.  For those of you who have never seen the movie but want to, here's the gist:

Detective Somerset (Morgan Freeman) is about to retire.  His replacement is Detective Mills (Brad Pitt), a hotheaded but earnest young guy.  A case comes up during Somerset's last week that proves to be one of the most difficult and devious that he has ever faced.  A killer is loose, forcing his victims to atone for each of the seven deadly sins.  The punishments are classical and ingeniously devised, as well as mind-bogglingly evil.

There's a reason this movie is firmly entrenched in our popular culture.  Even when you know what's coming, you can still marvel at the artistry of the performances.  Love love love this movie.

1 comment:

  1. "dead guy" in the bed STILL creeps me the fuck out....that's all I'm sayin

    ReplyDelete