Sunday, December 25, 2011

Smokin' Aces (2006)

  I almost forgot to write about this one.  I was so busy all week with Rob and his dad, I barely even had time to watch movies I hadn't already reviewed.  For instance, his dad had never seen Kung Fu Panda so the three of us watched that one night, and then Rob wanted to jump into KFP2 the next night, but I just watched it recently so I skipped downstairs to bake a vinegar pie.  What?  I have other hobbies.

While the puff pastry crust was pre-baking, I tossed on some Smokin' Aces because nothing puts me in a better frame of mind than madcap assassination movies.

Buddy "Aces" Israel (Jeremy Piven) is in trouble.  A mobster named Primo wants his heart and not in a buy-chocolates-and-send-love-letters kind of way.  He's trying to cut a deal for testimony with the FBI, who has two agents (Ryan Reynolds and Ray Liotta) on protective detail but they are severely outnumbered by the amount of hitmen flocking to town to put Aces in a hole.

There are a truly ridiculous number of celebrities in this movie from Ben Affleck to Chris Pine and a ridiculous amount of violence besides.  Those things I liked.  The Big Twist is pretty easy to figure out and some of the humor is so over-the-top it's grotesque.  These things I didn't.  Overall, it's a fun popcorn film that's good for when you just want something loud in the background or need to turn your brain off for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment