Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Vanishing (1988)

  It's been a while since I did a fucked up foreign film.  This one is more weird than most.  And that's saying something.

Dutch couple Rex (Gene Bervoets) and Saskia (Johanna ter Steege) are vacationing in France when Saskia is abducted at a rest stop.  After searching for her for three years, Rex starts getting postcards from her abductor (Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu).  He offers Rex a chance to know the truth about what happened to Saskia but only if he will see it through to the very end.

KIDS!  Do not ever agree to something like this.  It will end badly.  I don't want to completely ruin the movie, but I will say that only a foreign film would have an ending like that.  Apparently, the director did an American version of the film in '93 with Keifer Sutherland, Sandra Bullock, and Jeff Bridges.  I haven't seen that so I don't know if it's a shot-for-shot remake.  I would imagine not, since Americans generally shy away from such unrelenting bleakness.  If anybody has seen that version, hit up the comments and let me know how the ending is.

I thought the movie was pretty good, not one that I would ever own but worth watching.  The pacing is a bit slow but that ramps up the creepiness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment