Saturday, January 30, 2016

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

Nominated for Best Original Screenplay     I am shocked this did not get more nominations.  It is easily one of the best movies I saw from last year and definitely one of the best in this crop of nominees.

In 1986, five young men got together to express their thoughts on what growing up black in Compton, California really meant.  And the world exploded.  Eazy-E (Jason Mitchell) brings the street cred and the money, Ice Cube (O'Shea Jackson Jr.) brings powerfully resonant lyrics and Dr. Dre (Corey Hawkins) handles the musical arrangement and production.  After the success of their first independent album, Eazy-E is approached by music manager Jerry Heller (Paul Giamatti) and a deal is formed.  The group N.W.A. creates the classic rap album Straight Outta Compton and the real success starts to come.  Unfortunately, it is accompanied by suspicion, double-dealing, and betrayal.

I didn't hear of N.W.A until I was well into my 20's.  It may be a shock to some of you, but rap music wasn't often played in rural Alabama in the 1990's.  Plus, I was like six-years-old when this album dropped.  That being said, there was a lot about this movie and its accompanying soundtrack that resonated with me.  No, I don't know what it's like to be harassed by cops just for standing on a street.  But I do know what it is like to stare down an institution intent on crushing your will, to be a lone voice protesting, and the rage of feeling powerless.  Honestly, I can't praise this movie highly enough.

I know it's taken me all damn day just to get one post up but I'm going to try to counter my tardiness with volume.  Bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment