Saturday, January 2, 2016

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)

  It's been a long time since I've seen this movie.  It's one of the rare sequels I like better than the original.

Hellboy (Ron Perlman) and his team are called upon to stop Nuada (Luke Goss), a Prince of Faerie, from reclaiming a magical mechanical army and using it to wipe out all the humans.  Complicating matters are the addition of a new leader, Johann Krauss (Seth MacFarlane), and Abe's (Doug Jones) infatuation with the prince's twin sister, Nuala (Anna Walton).  To top it all off, Liz (Selma Blair) discovers she is pregnant with Hellboy's children.

This is much more signature Del Toro with fantastical creatures, lush visuals, and crazy over-the-top action.  Where the first film tended toward moody darkness, this is practically candy-colored.  I never read the Hellboy comics but I did see the two animated films.  I really wish there had been more interest in this world.  I would have liked to see more on the backgrounds of the secondary characters or even a third film where Hellboy finally confronts his birthright.

No comments:

Post a Comment