Saturday, January 30, 2016

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)

I finally got through 220 episodes of Naruto.  I know it's considered a beloved staple of anime but fuck, what a slog.  Then, as if that weren't enough, I subjected my poor brain to the following film.  Book of secrets post.jpg  I was pretty sure I had seen it before but I couldn't remember a single thing about it.  That should tell you all you need to know about this sequel.

Ben Gates (Nicolas Cage) is after another historical mystery, this time trying to prove that his ancestor was not part of the plot to assassinate Lincoln.  To clear his hundred+ years dead family member's good name, Gates attempts to unlock an encrypted message on a page from John Wilkes Booth's (Christian Camargo) diary.  This leads him to the Statue of Liberty, Buckingham Palace, and Mt. Rushmore where the clues add up to indicate the location of a fabled City of Gold, sought after by Spanish explorers in the 16th century.

Okay.  I know this is supposed to be fun and cute and family-friendly, but I shudder at the thought that the writers cheerfully lumped Zuni, Olmec, and Lakota traditions together as if they were not separate indigenous tribes from completely different geographical regions and eras.  It's lazy as well as culturally insensitive.  At least make your blatant grab for cash plausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment