Monday, January 25, 2016

Ex Machina (2015)

Nominated for Best Original Screenplay and Best Visual Effects     Some of you may have heard of the winter storm that bitch-slapped the East Coast this past weekend.  I have not suffered unduly but my cable/Internet connection has been in and out.  Since I kind of need the Internet to watch Netflix and I need cable for On Demand, I have not been able to see as many nominees this weekend as I would have liked.  I barely got my Fifty Shades review out yesterday.  Obviously, I will continue to try because I have no life outside of this hobby.

Caleb (Domhnall Gleeson) is a code monkey who thinks he's won the lottery when he is invited to spend a week in Alaska with his reclusive billionaire boss, Nate (Oscar Isaac).  Nate has brought Caleb for a very specific purpose, however.  He is to be the administrator of a Turing test for Nate's artificial intelligence robot, Ava (Alicia Vikander).  Over the course of the week and after several sessions with Ava, Caleb finds himself wondering what game is actually being played and who --or what-- is really in control.

This was a very solid sci-fi/psychological thriller.  I had heard rave reviews back when it premiered on the festival circuit and while I wasn't blown away, I think most of them were on the money.  It's certainly not the same old retread.  There is a sense of inevitability about it, however, especially once the meaning behind the company name is revealed.  I can't go into a lot of details because I think it would spoil the actual film.  Just watch it and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment