Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Nominations are in!

Okay, as promised, the Oscar nominations were released today. Discounting all repeat entries (I'm not watching Avatar 9 times), there are 58 movies up for awards. That's a lot. I took the liberty of loading my Netflix with as many as I could locate (which was depressingly few) and will be making a game attempt to find others. Several were either just released or are still in theaters so hopefully I can catch a few (like Pokemon!).

You'll forgive me if this post gets a little spacey. I have just had two wisdom teeth pulled out and my face feels like a grenade has gone off inside. I will get as much as I can before the drugs kick in.

Nominations I have seen

Avatar-- already reviewed
Up-- great animated film, even if it takes you through an entire life cycle before the story actually begins.
Julie & Julia-- Meryl Streep is outstanding, Amy Adams is just so-so.
Nine-- already reviewed
Coraline-- excellent, very trippy, Teri Hatcher is super-creepy as the voice of the not-mother.
Fantastic Mr. Fox-- the soundtrack sounded like it had been ripped straight from my iPod. Very Wes Anderson.
Sherlock Holmes-- already reviewed
Star Trek-- drop everything you are doing and see this movie. Fantastic.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen-- complete shit. Its entry on this list, indeed, in the judges consideration, is an insult.

There are 13 in my Queue right now and 8 that I hope to find in the theaters so keep an eye out for them in the coming days!

If anybody has any suggestions or knows how to find the following Nominees, shoot me an e-mail. I would really appreciate it.

The Most Dangerous Man in America
Which Way Home
China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province
The Door
The Last Campaign of Booth Gardner
The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant
Music by Prudence
Rabbit a la Berlin
French Roast
Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
The Lady and the Reaper
Logorama -- (Ed. note)  I did actually catch this one online but now I can't remember where.  Totally deserved the win, though.
Instead of Abracadabra
Kavi
Miracle Fish
The New Tenants

***UPDATE***
Just saw that An Education is just now being released to theaters so there's a chance I could get to that one. Precious is still in select theaters so maybe I can catch it, but if not, it's coming out on DVD in March. No word on the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment