Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tank Girl (1995)

  I like this movie.  Makes me wish I had seen it when I was in middle school.  It would have redefined my idea of 'cool'.  And possibly have driven my parents insane.  Missed opportunities.  /sigh

The year is 2033.  A comet has hit the earth, destroying pretty much everything and it hasn't rained in eleven years.  Water, therefore, is an extremely precious resource controlled by mega-corporation Water & Power.  A few brave souls steal water, living in communal facilities out in the desert.  Rebecca (Lori Petty) is one of those, until W & P raid her house, killing her boyfriend, and taking her sister Sam (Stacy Lynn Ramsower) prisoner.  Rebecca is also taken but, due to her fighting spirit, is kept alive by the chairman of Water & Power, Kesslee (Malcolm McDowell).  He puts her to work in the mines until her spirit breaks.  Aided by another lost soul, Jet (Naomi Watts), Rebecca plots to escape and find the nigh-mythical Rippers, genetically engineered rogue killing machines and then rescue her sister and bring down the evil corporation.

It's a fun little movie based on a cult British comic and it has a kick-ass 90s soundtrack.

1 comment:

  1. Are you suuuuure Sam is her sister? I never got that from the movie, I just assumed she was one of the local-parentless-orphans-in-need-of-love types.../shrug

    ReplyDelete