Monday, November 21, 2011

My Name is Bruce (2007)

  I have to say, I love me some Bruce Campbell.  I have his auto-biography If Chins Could Kill, I've got the entire series of The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. on DVD, and he's one of the main reasons I watch Burn Notice.  Hell, I've even seen Alien Apocalypse.  I like him because he has always embraced his B-movie-star status and never comes across as one of those people who are bitter that they're not Tom Hanks.

For example, this is a film spoofing his entire career.  Not only does he play himself, he directed it.  That's awesome.

Bruce Campbell (Bruce Campbell) is a boozy, bitter, B-movie actor stuck making lame-ass sequels to already lame-ass movies like "Cave Alien" when he gets kidnapped by a superfan named Jeff (Taylor Sharpe).  Jeff and some friends were goofing off in a local cemetery when they accidentally unleash Guan-Di, the demon guarding the souls of Chinese workers killed in a mine collapse.  The townspeople hope Bruce Campbell can save them from the demon but Bruce thinks it's a joke his agent (Ted Raimi) set up.

Think Galaxy Quest only with a demon instead of aliens and Bruce Campbell instead of Tim Allen.

This really is just a tribute to the fans.  If you're not a Campbellite, you'll probably want to steer clear.  If, however, you can quote the entirety of Army of Darkness you'll be right at home.

Now, gimme some sugar, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment