Saturday, November 26, 2011

Say Anything (1989)

  This is supposedly a classic 80's film.  I don't know about that.  The only reason I own it is because I love, love, love John Cusack.  This is not one of my favorite films he is in, however.  Technically, I skipped over this one to start watching Scrubs (on the fourth season now) but I went back to it because Rob had never seen it before.

He didn't hate it.  I think he was expecting it to be something else, though.  I know I was the first time I saw it.  See, it suckers you into thinking that Lloyd Dobbler (John Cusack) is the star of the movie.  He's not.  The plot actually revolves around Diane Court (Ione Skye).  She gets a fellowship to study in England and starts dating Lloyd the summer before she goes.  Fearing things are getting too intense between them she dumps him, leading to the most famous scene out of the movie.  Her dad (John Mahoney) meanwhile, is under investigation for defrauding the residents of the nursing home he manages.

Somehow this is all supposed to be romantic.  Don't get me wrong, Lloyd is a great guy.  And there's something appealing about the idea of making the person you're dating your number one priority, ahead of a career or family or anything.  The idea, anyway.  In practice, it sounds like a recipe for dying alone, miserable and hating everything around you.  People just aren't that good.  Not even in high school.  Maybe especially not in high school.

Anyway, people have determined that this is a romantic classic and who am I to tell them differently?  It's an okay movie.  Probably better as nostalgia than coming to it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment