Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ruthless People (1986)

  This movie is such a classic.  I remember seeing it when I was a kid and laughing my ass off.  I was worried this was going to be another relic of the 80's but it's still good today. 

Tim and Sandy Kessler (Judge Reinhold and Helen Slater) get cheated by slimy businessman Sam Stone (Danny DeVito) so they kidnap his wife Barbara (Bette Midler).  Unfortunately, Sam was already planning on killing Barbara for her money so a kidnapping is music to his ears.  He does everything he can to try and get the Kesslers to cap Barbara.  Sam's mistress (Anita Morris) tells her lover (Bill Pullman, rocking the Miami Vice look) to film Sam killing Barbara, since that was the original plan, but the boyfriend accidentally tapes some guy (William G. Schilling) schtupping a prostitute instead.  Also, there's a serial murderer on the loose called The Bedroom Killer (J. E. Freeman).  All of this comes together in a classically 80's madcap fashion.

I'm a big Bette Midler movie fan and this is the one that started that ball rolling.  There are very few full-on comedies I like but this one makes the grade.  I tried to find it for years and only recently got it as a double feature with Down and Out in L.A., a movie I've never seen.  Eventually, I'll get back around to the D's and see if it's as good as Ruthless People.  Until then, I'm going to bask in the happy glow that comes with finally getting your hands on something you've wanted forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment