Sunday, November 6, 2011

Timecrimes (2007)

"Los Cronocrimenes"    I don't know that I would call this a "serio-comedy".  I don't even think that's a word.  There are a couple of funny moments but not nearly enough for the label 'comedy'. 

Time travel.  It's dangerous, y'all.  Hector (Karra Elejalde) and his wife (Candela Fernandez) have just moved into a new house.  While in the backyard playing with a pair of binoculars, Hector spies a young woman (Barbara Goenaga) getting naked in the woods.  While on his way to find her --in case she needs some help, of course-- he gets stabbed in the arm by a crazy figure whose head is wrapped in bandages.  He runs away and winds up at some sort of research facility where a technician (writer-director Nacho Vigalondo) helps him hide from the masked man in a mysterious machine.

The film reminds me of The Machinist, which is a much better film than Memento I think, in that it shows you things which seem meaningless, then serve as touchstones throughout the film.  It's well-done, especially for a first-out-the-gate try.  It could have used a little more polish, I think, but I'm sure the 2012 Dreamworks remake will fix that.  Or completely ruin it.  We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment