Monday, November 14, 2011

The Saint (1997)

  I love this movie.  I used to watch it way more often until I kind of burned myself out on it.  Remember the late 90's when Val Kilmer was hot?  God those were good times.

Simon Templar (Val Kilmer) is a master thief with a thousand disguises, all named for Catholic saints.  He is hired by a Russian billionaire (Rade Serbedzija) to steal the formula for cold fusion from a pretty scientist named Dr. Emma Russell (Elizabeth Shue).  Dr. Russell manages to charm Simon from his cold ways and he takes her side to try and keep her from getting killed before she can finish the formula.

In '97, I was a sophomore in high school.  I was not aware that this was an American remake of a 60's British TV character played by Roger Moore.  In fact, I only became aware of this fact on Saturday when I watched the movie and noticed Roger Moore's name in the credits.  A little nod to the original from the filmmakers.  I don't know that I could go back and watch the TV series after having loved the movie since I'm fairly certain I would only be disappointed and judge it way too harshly.  You, since you're presumably nicer than I am, are free to Netflix it and tell me how many other little Easter eggs there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment