Sunday, November 6, 2011

Rock-A-Doodle (1991)

  This is another of my nostalgia kicks.  I swear I thought I made this up until I came across some random article that mentioned it.  I remember watching this with my brother, who was about 5, over and over again. 

It has not survived well.

Chanticleer (Glen Campbell) is a rooster who crows every morning to make the sun rise.  One morning, he is distracted by the forces of evil and doesn't.  The sun rises without him.  Crushed, Chanticleer leaves the farm.  Storms beset the place and the animals realize that, without the rooster, the sun may never shine again.  This is all well and good for Grand Duke Owl (Christopher Plummer) but a little boy named Edmund (Toby Scott Granger) is determined to bring him back.  Naturally, the owl turns him into a cartoon kitten to prevent him from joining the other animals on their quest to the city to find the rooster.  Meanwhile, Chanticleer has put his pipes to work, rebranding himself as The King, with a thriving stage show.  Fame is no substitute for friendship, however, and The King's evil manager comes up with a solution:  get a dumb, pretty, blonde pheasant (Ellen Greene) to pretend to fall in love with The King.

The animation is pretty crap and the songs are pure drivel.  As an adult, I wanted to claw off my own ears.  This is definitely one to put on for the kids and then vacate the premises.

1 comment: