Saturday, April 23, 2016

High and Low (1963)

  This was a really interesting film and not just because it's a Kurosawa set in modern times.

A shoe company executive (Toshiro Mifune) has a line on a deal that will see him raised to chief shareholder of the company and he's mortgaged every single dime to make it happen.  All the money he has in the world is in one check to serve as the principal.  Then he gets a phone call saying that his son has been kidnapped.  After some confusion, his household realizes that it was actually the chauffeur's son that was taken.  Paying a ransom to get your own kid back is one thing but how far would you go to save an employee's child if it meant destroying everything you had built?

I can appreciate a good moral quandary.  There's a lot of tension to be mined from that.  My problem is that once the decision has been reached, the movie isn't as interesting, so while I did enjoy seeing it I won't be buying this one for my collection.  That's probably a good thing since I'm desperately short on shelf space as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment