Monday, April 11, 2016

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

  I know, this isn't my usual fare.  But never let it be said that I refuse to see things just because of their genre.  This is how you avoid those nasty feedback loops.

Elizabeth Bennett (Keira Knightley) is the second of five daughters.  Her mother (Brenda Blethyn) spends every waking moment trying to get her girls married off to respectable men.  Elizabeth is much more ambivalent to the whole process.  However, she is happy when her sister, Jane (Rosamund Pike) shows interest in the highborn lord next door, Mr. Bingley (Simon Woods).  Elizabeth tries to be friendly with Bingley's pal, Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen), but finds him rude.    For his part, Darcy hates her whole family.  As is the way of these things, obviously they are destined to be together.

As much as I hate romances, this is one of the best adaptations I've seen.  I can only assume it's because of the incredibly impressive cast since the story is so well-worn.  The video I have is very poor quality so I couldn't appreciate the cinematography but knowing Joe Wright's later work, I'm sure it was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment